Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt #5


Emma Burry
AP English
Mrs. Wilhelmus
August 12, 2013
Personal Philosophies
Philosophy is such a hard concept to grasp especially with all of the different theories and historical people that have made a lasting impression on it. From the beginning of time to the present, philosophy has been influencing our society’s thoughts and decisions even if we do not notice it. When I read this novel, I was able to conclude which philosophies and theories I agree and disagree with. Some of them I am completely indifferent to because I do not fully understand how it affects my life.
           One of the philosophies that I agree with and enjoyed learning about was Kant’s. Immanuel Kant was a teacher of philosophy and had his own philosophy about applying both one’s senses and reason to life. I fully support his theory because life is about balance. One cannot rely on just one resource for coming to conclusions. Believing in both the rational and empirical views gives philosophy a happy compromise and satisfies more people. Other philosophers that I agree with are St. Thomas and St. Aquinas who believed that Christianity and philosophy went hand in hand. Since I am a Christian, it is important for me to recognize the conclusions that I have come to on my own philosophical journey and the teachings of the Bible.
            I personally do not agree with the teachings of Darwin and his theory of evolution. I do believe that animal variations are possible and some species can evolve from another, however when it comes to humans there is only one solution for our creation. God is the one and only creator of Adam and Eve in the very beginning; and in a sense, every human being is a descendant of them. Another philosophy that I do not agree with is the Big Bang Theory and this is also because of my religious views. I have been taught that God created everything in the universe, and I do not believe that my planet was molded from a large explosion in our galaxy. Am I opposed to those that believe this theory? No I am very accepting of it, but my beliefs are my own and I will not agree with something that goes against them.
            Sophie’s World opened my eyes to a world I have never dreamed of experiencing. I learned so many new ideas and theories that I never knew existed and I am starting to question more of myself. If I had to explain where I reside on the rabbit’s fur, I would have to say that I am in the middle. Philosophy did not seem to intrigue me as much as some because I was content with the knowledge of the world I had before I was introduced to it. At the same time though, I was interested in the workings of the ancient philosophers’ minds and how they influenced the time period. The history of philosophy, no matter if I believe it all or not, is just as imperative as the history we learn about during school. I believe that more people should have their eyes opened to the world around them and pulled out from the fur of the rabbit.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment