AP English Language
Mrs. Wilhelmus
August 12, 2013
Gender Rules
Throughout
history, women have been looked down upon as being incapable of handling the tasks
only set aside for men. This was a poor time in our world’s history and now our
society knows that the housewife stereotype was incorrect. Though several women
today enjoy the perks of working at home, there are plenty of others that have
occupations in the medical field, politics, and other growing industries.
Without these women, the growth of our society would be lacking. It is hard to
understand why older generations scrutinized women in such ways.
Many of
the philosophers in Sophie’s World held
a very narrow view on women, like Aristotle. Though I do not agree with his
outlook, I do see how Aristotle came to his conclusion on women. He had no
other experience to base his beliefs on. I would definitely argue some of his
points were invalid, like how women were not responsible for the creation of
the child. Obviously this is not a point which anyone can dispute because we
know today that each parent gives chromosomes to the offspring, which
contribute to its traits. Overall, I was
upset by his views, because he did not give women the slightest chance to prove
themselves and he disregarded the facts that were clearly under his nose. I do
not believe that he handled this subject as a philosopher, but more as a typical
male. It is difficult for philosophers to have closed minds on such subjects
and I believe skepticism was his weakness.
In my
personal opinion, I was more pleased with Plato’s take on gender. He was
definitely more open-minded and less skeptic. As Plato was a student of
Aristotle this was a little confusing and at the same time promising. It showed
how a teacher of philosophy could influence a student, but in the same moment
the student was able to form his own opinion. This made me enjoy Plato’s ideas
and history that much more. The fact that people of his time did not agree with
his views of women is upsetting. I have learned to accept that not many
people believed in women’s capabilities during this time period. This
realization made it easier for me to accept the fact that the majority of the
figures in Sophie’s World were men.
If the book had been written about female philosophers, the book would have
been 1/5 the size and would have not been an international bestseller. No
one is interested in the philosophical points that never influenced the
world.
Though
it is a shame that not many males recognized women’s capabilities, women made
up for it in the long run. The males set up the framework of society for
centuries and the women came and helped fill it out later. It is important to
have both sexes working together to keep our culture functioning and thriving. Without
the existence of females how would we live?
No comments:
Post a Comment