AP English
Mrs. Wilhelmus
August 12, 2013
In the Eyes of the Beholder
Alberto tries to give
Sophie an example of people’s perspectives in the “Kant” chapter. He tries to
give her an insight into the beliefs of Immanuel Kant and he believed in both the
rationalist and empiricist point of views. So he hands Sophie a pair of glasses
with red lenses. As she places them on her face, he explains that everything
she sees is still a part of the world around her, but the color she sees
through the lenses determines how she sees it. In other words, one could say that
the color is her perspective and since Alberto is not seeing red, one could conclude
that he has a different perspective from Sophie.
Perception is a quality that separates people and makes them
unique. For example 100 people sign up to perform an experiment with a novel
such as Sophie’s World. Every single
person is required to read it in its entirety and be able to recite some basic theories
of philosophy. This knowledge is something that is factual so this can be seen
as rationalistic side of the experiment. Out of those 100 people, each one has
a different take on the book as a result of their background/race, religion, or
personal experiences. (In other instances, one's senses such as sight and smell
could influence their perspective.) This is the empiricist view. It goes
to show that no one person can think exactly the same just as no one person can
be exactly the same.
In my life, perspective has applied to issues I have had to
deal with in the past. Last year I had a severe problem with the way I viewed
my body and eventually I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. Even though most
high school girls do not like their appearances, my observations were
completely wrong. The facts were that I maintained a healthy weight, but I
viewed myself as obese. My perception of myself started a spiral that greatly
changed my life. Now, I am able to look back on that experience and change my
perspective. Was the road to recovery difficult? It was the toughest event I
have had to encounter, but it showed me the power and influence that
perspective can have on someone’s life.
No comments:
Post a Comment