Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt #1

Emma Burry
AP English Language
Mrs. Wilhelmus
August 12, 2013

My Creation
          Not very often do people of my generation sit and ponder the existence of life. We are more focused on the happenings of now and the future, not the past and surely not the beginning of time. Just like the philosophers before me, I have a different perspective of who I am and where the world came from. Unlike many of my peers, I am willing to contemplate these unanswered questions to come to a conclusion of my own thoughts.
          I have been taught that God created everything in a matter of seven days. As a child, I was completely mesmerized by this fact and since I knew nothing different, I accepted this as the truth. To this day I believe in the miracle of Jesus Christ, but that does not mean that I have never questioned the beginning of the world or my existence. 
         When I came across the question, “Who are you?” in the first chapter of this novel I answered it as simply as I could, just like Sophie. The further I read, the more I realized that my name was not sufficient and that I needed to extend upon my response. I know that I am a human being who is capable of thinking and making rational decisions based on my experiences. Therefore, I am a product of those experiences. In a world of 7 billion people, I am the only Emma Elizabeth Burry and that makes me feel unique and empowered. I control my thoughts and my life and I am very blessed to be given this opportunity to undergo life on Earth.
          At a young age, I was interested in learning and absorbing every piece of information that I could get my hands on. Math was my favorite subject because for every problem there was a definite solution. What frustrated me the most with other topics, and currently philosophy, was the unclear answers that would sometimes appear. I was unable to wrap my mind around the unanswered questions and the what-ifs in life. So when I first came across the question, “Where does the world come from?” I was stumped beyond all comprehension.
          To create the world, there had to be something in which created it. Am I right? This “thing” that created the world is God. I believe without a doubt that God is responsible for creating the world in which we all exist. He appeared from nothing and made everything in the beginning. Once I came to this conclusion, I was still not set at peace. I doubted the validity of this answer and search for a different solution. To this day, I do not accept any other creation theory besides the Christian belief. I can relate and understand some of the other theories’ points, but some of these proposals have unexplainable gaps. I choose to my faith over science in the area of creation.
          

         

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment